Disabling firewalls is not always a necessary step (you should be able to click "Next" without doing this). However, if you're having trouble connecting to the platform then we do recommend trying to disable firewalls when possible. For a faster experience, instead of pre-recording and then uploading your response videos, we stream your response directly to one of our media servers using a communication protocol called RTMP. RTMP uses different ports from HTTP (the communication protocol for regular web pages) which can often be blocked by firewalls.
Disable Firewall on Windows
1. Open up the "Control Panel" (you can access this from the "Start" Menu).
2. In the "Control Panel" > Click "Windows Firewalls" > "Customize Settings". You can turn off both Private and Public Network Firewalls during your video assessment.
3. Refresh your browser.
For more on Windows Firewall: Click here
Disable Firewall on MacOS
- Choose "System Preferences" from the Apple menu.
- Click Security or Security & Privacy
- Click the "Firewall" tab > Unlock the pane by clicking the lock on the lower left corner > Enter administrator username and password > Click the "Turn Off Firewall" button.
- You can click "Advanced..." to customize the firewall configuration.
- Refresh your browser.
For more on MacOS Firewall:Click here
Troubleshooting Connection Issues and Firewall:
If you are still experiencing connection problems after disabling your operating system firewall, there may still be a firewall on the network to which you're connected to the internet.
Check your router's configuration for any firewalls and disable them. Common router firewalls are found under the "Security" or "Firewall" tab in the routers configuration page. http://www.wikihow.com/Access-a-Router
It is likely that the configuration is set by the network administrator, please contact the IT department to find out if the configuration can be changed or if alternate connections can be found. If no changes can be made, please find another network to use.
Note: Don't forget to disable your ad-blockers too. Click here for the guide: "How To: Disable Ad Blockers (Chrome, FireFox, Safari"